Media List Building Made Easy With New AI Tool
Don’t you hate building media lists from scratch?
We thought so.
Luckily, today marks a revolutionary update to PR campaign building and media outreach…
We can’t wait to share that we just launched the world's first fully AI-powered media database, powered by our Artificial Media Intelligence Generator Assistant (Amiga).
Now you can build hyper-targeted media lists in seconds instead of hours!
How does it work?
All you need to do is put in your pitch, press release or news description into our media list builder page, and the AI will create a list of relevant journalists for you. It does this by leveraging our dataset of journalists and their news articles, and then analyzes journalist beats in detail to determine who to put on the list.
Before you know it, you’ll have a targeted list of up to 75 journalists for your next earned media campaign.
You can test out our media list builder for yourself with the link here.
Media List Builder Pro-Tips:
Like the rest of your AI-powered tools, our list builder is not here to solve all your problems, unfortunately. We wish!
It also is key to remember that AI-generated results are only as strong as the information you provide in the first place. By conducting extensive internal research on our list builder and its capabilities, we arrived at the following recommendations for you to keep in mind when piecing together your prompts:
- The best results are generated from a full pitch or a press release text submission. You can also input a description of your news. Although there is no word minimum when using the list builder, we suggest at least two full, descriptive sentences. The more info you give Amiga, the better your list will be!
- Additionally, the best results are generated from announcements or hard news. Offering up an expert for a briefing might not produce as good of a result as a hard news announcement would.
- Just like when pitching a journalist directly, abstract, vague or nuanced pitches won’t perform as well with Amiga. Make sure your pitch is concrete and informative.
- AI-powered tools are not meant to produce your final products, so naturally, not all of the contacts added to your media list will be relevant! On average, 66% of contacts on Amiga-produced media lists are relevant to your news (with 39% being very relevant, and 27% being somewhat relevant - on average). And how does this compare to manual list building? From our analysis, heavily researched media lists created by professional PR people take approximately six hours per 100 contacts to build. Of these contacts, 40% are typically very relevant. By contrast, producing a media list with Amiga takes three seconds, and produces similar, if not better results!
- If you find a journalist you like, we recommend going to the “journalist name” option, and entering their name in order to find the most similar journalists. This is a great way to unlock new contacts that are similar to the ones you already know are relevant to begin with.
- Click ‘thumbs up’ if the journalist is relevant or ‘thumbs down’ if they are not relevant. If you click on thumbs down, this journalist will no longer appear in future searches with the same text entry. This trains our AI model so that it can continuously improve for you.
- This is the very first iteration of our media list builder - the first technology of its kind in the world. Although the capability is already strong, we expect it to get much better overtime, and we want your feedback! Please share your thoughts with us by emailing email@example.com.
- To save the best for last– Have fun, enjoy Amiga, and get hours back in your day to do the parts of the PR job you love most.
Why Your Media List is so Important
One of the most important aspects of PR is determining the right people to send a pitch to because sending your pitch to the wrong person will be met with silence.
However, it’s also one of the most tedious parts of the profession, with many professionals in PR manually searching the internet for journalists and their contact information and then inputting the information into simple spreadsheets in a frustratingly monotonous process which can take upwards of six hours.
This unfortunately sometimes leads to journalists with little relevance to the subject being pitched being added to these lists in a desperate attempt to just finish the task, something which unfortunately leads to spray and pray tactics that don’t yield results.
The only way to set your company up to score high-quality earned media results is to build a powerful media list from the beginning.
This means piecing together an intentional, relevant group of media contacts to pitch your news to.
And fortunately, Propel now offers the tools you need to streamline this process and strengthen your chances of securing the best press possible.
Ready to test our AI-powered media database and list builder? Check it out here.