The Propel Media Barometer - Q2 2023
The new year is already one quarter complete, and with 500,000 pitches submitted via the Propel platform in Q1, it's time to assess the state of media relations in 2023.
How has the current economic state impacted PR practitioners’ earned media results? What are the implications around pitching journalists at outlets with more limited resources than ever? This report will provide you a with a detailed review of today’s media landscape, along with new data to help you with the art and science of PR pitching in today’s media environment.
Here at Propel, we put together a quarterly data report called the Propel Media Barometer to support comms pros in creating successful PR strategies and ensuring their story is heard. For the Q2 2023 report, we analyzed approximately 500,000 pitches that were sent out by PR professionals through our platform during the first quarter of 2023 to outline all the components of a successful pitch today. Such elements included the right length for the subject line, an adequate pitch length in total, and when is the ideal time to pitch in order to receive the most responses from media professionals. By understanding the facts about PR pitching that are uncovered in this research, PR pros will have a clearer understanding of how to make their pitches as effective as possible, and ultimately spread their messages.
A few key findings from the report include:
- Journalists only opened 2.91% of the pitches they received.
- The day with the most pitches being sent was Tuesday but the day with the most journalist responses was Thursday.
- PR professionals pitched podcasts 21.23% more in Q1 of 2023 than in Q4 of 2022, and garnered response rates of 15.06%.
- There were 65% more pitches about Series A funding rounds in Q1 2023 than in Q4 2022.
- General pitches about AI were opened 91% of the time but only responded to 1.95% of the time.
Download the full Q2 2023 Propel Media Barometer below: